The decision to whether enter the employment workforce or pursue further studies is one which requires considerable deliberation and self-introspection. While both worlds call for sacrifices on social and financial fronts, future progression and career market dynamism are important factors that need to be kept in mind when making a decision.
To help break things down, let’s consider each scenario:
CHOOSING TO STUDY:
- Helps you build up your academic resume, which in turn enhances your chances of being employed at a better paying job with (perhaps) a better profile. A postgraduate degree can help you attain a job on a higher pay scale though field of work and choice of job are decisive factors
- Pursuing further studies helps you gain specialization in a particular field and at times boost a weak undergraduate program. This undoubtedly improves your overall knowledge of the subject
- Post graduation degrees are an expensive proposition. Time is another parameter, which needs to be taken into consideration. Hence choosing the right university and optimally utilizing the resources at your disposal is vital
CHOOSING TO WORK:
- Choosing to work immediately after graduation is beneficial from a financial point of view. Making money is something people aspire to do and a great job opportunity is something that must be taken into consideration
- Working helps you make the transition from theoretical study to practical reality. This transition helps you gauge where your interests lie and can have a telling influence on future academic related decisions.
- Being employed has its benefits but it’s important not to rush into taking a decision. If you’re mentally set on future studies and are looking to buy sometime or make some money before further pursuing your education, then adjusting back to the academic world can be difficult. At the same time, not making money when you study later can impact you psychologically. Hence planning and preparation is vital.
HOW ABOUT WORK & STUDY:
- Evolution of the education system and expansion of various post graduation degree modules means that you also have the option of working and studying. Part time degrees and distance education can help you manage your workload so that you can experience the best of both worlds.
The economic markets these days are subject to change in various parts of the world. Hence it is important to assess this change while taking decisions that can shape your career. Researching your field of interest with respect to universities and jobs is a prerequisite. No matter what decision you take, staying focused, motivated and work hard.