Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• news article

A Youths View About Politicians

Summers are on. And so are my vacations. Sitting at home, I have no other alternative than watching T.V. or surfing the net. Watching those boring monotonous, dull saas-bahu sagas and (not so) reality shows is not my cup of tea. So preferably, I choose to turn on the news channels in an expectation to watch something which is knowledgeable, delightful, and would keep me updated. I have just turned 18 a couple of months back. This means now I am an adult and can participate into my country’s politics or at least be a very tiny, minute part of the entire political scenario. So, in all the excitement of being able to vote, I started gaining more elaborate facts about the politics in the country.
    I don’t know how many youngsters of my age would have thought the way I m thinking after turning 18. Many of my friends are excited about turning because they could legally drive, legally smoke cigarettes, go to pubs, legally be called as an adult, will be legally stated as an individual personality, etc. I repeated the word ‘legally’ because most of this stuff is already being done illegally as under-aged!! (I m talking about driving, smoking and going to pubs!!!) Anyways, I feel being an adult is much of a responsibility. It’s Responsibility toward the family, colleagues, friends, relatives, and most significantly it is the responsibility towards the nation. As a young civilian of the country, I always feel that I need to look up to some political personality to get inspired to work for the nation’s development. As these politicians are people who are our chosen by us, who decide for the country’s future, who take care of the nation’s development and administer the land. So, to start with my analysis I turned on some news channel in search of news regarding any politician who can be my role model. Why is it necessary that only a social-worker, an activist or a freedom-fighter be my role model? Why can’t a politician inspire me to do something for my country? So, here was I, watching some news anchor blabbering something about a murder of a millionaire politician in the country capital. I started to guess the salary of an MP, and then I could hear the anchor shouting the amount of the property that MP owned. I wondered how was that possible for the MP to save so much amount in so less period of his political career.
    Later on, I thought to flip the channel and watch some other news broadcast. I could now see a decent looking anchor who was showing a clipping of a politician who was giving away a speech. Some state in the country is going through worse droughts this year, and this minister who is supposed to be the Deputy Chief Minister of that state, was talking about ‘urinating’ into dams as there was no water in it..!! How can the deputy CM of the state talk about pissing into the dams where people were suffering of drought. That is so lame and cheap! I could see on the TV, the farmers and drought struck people agitating against the Deputy CM for his comments and the supporters of the minister trying to save his side. I could not believe. So, I did that again. Flipped to next channel, another news reader, with a new news. This time it was some telecom minister being put into jail due to his involvement in the 2G scam. Wow! Our politician turning into prisoners! For a moment I just forgot the motive of my decision to watch news. Oh yes! I was here to find an inspiration for me in a politician. After all this shocks, I had some hope left, still thriving inside me. I changed to another channel and, Voila! This politician was trying to create differences between the citizens by dividing them by their language! We live in a diverse and secular country and here I was, listening to this politician who was creating barriers among civilians with respect to the language they speak. His party workers even thrashed people who could not speak the language of that region! How brutal! I thought, our country is a free democracy and our fundamental rights allow us to roam anywhere in our country freely without any regional, linguistic or religious barriers. Then who gave this politician the right to beat up people who could not speak the regional language?
    It’s Height of Insanity!!! Just between this, another news came in a flash and created a blow in a very less time. An unauthorized, illegal building had collapsed and had killed almost half a ton of innocent people in the outskirts of a well-developed city. After much research it was said that, one of the main culprits in this accident were the local politicians, who helped the builder build the building without any license and some even claim that the politician even provided finance for the building. If at all the building was made legally, this incident would not have happened and it would not have killed so many people. So now, politicians are even murderers?? Oh no! I was searching for a role model in those politicians. No, not at all. I don’t want to do this kind of work for my country.
    Just one day, I purposely, and yes, enthusiastically, thought that as I m a grown up adult, I should start thinking about doing something for my country, at least in my vacation. So, I considered finding a role model in a politician for myself, so that I can follow his foot-steps. So, I switched on the news channel, an easiest and best way for a 18 year old, college going student like me to get to know politicians.( as I’ll even have to vote for one of these guys someday!) And all I could see was a greedy, multi-millionaire dead MP from Delhi, a ready-to-urinate (into the empty dams) Deputy CM of a drought struck state, a minister turned prisoner for a scam, the politician who was beating up citizens for linguistic differences, and some selfish local netas who helped non-licensed builders to build illegal buildings which collapsed killing many. Is it that, there is nothing good about our ministers and politicians, or it that the news people don’t show us the good deeds that our netas do? Whatever it may be, one thing is sure that I definitely do not want to do anything like our politicians do for our country. Its better that I join some hobby class in my vacation instead of wasting them like this!!
    But, don’t you guys think that, just the way I got de-moralized and disappointed rest of the youth in the country is also going through the same? In the verge of getting to know the politicians, I could only see the darker side of them. I think, even journalists also have a responsibility to show the viewers even the good side of some netas, keeping their profits and selfish motives away. After seeing all this in the news, will I be able to go and vote for any politician? I just hope I can, because it’s my right.
Working...
X